@macbethanee

Tuesday, August 28

Acronyms & Abbreviations

I have a lot of quirks.

I accept this.

Those who know me best know this and accept this and for that I am thankful.

One of my eccentricities is the distaste for abbreviations and the subconscious deciphering of acronyms.

Explanation: If I read or hear an acronym, I automatically translate it to the full words. For example, if I see "HD," I read "high definition." "MPH" becomes "miles per hour." "SCUBA" becomes "self-contained underwater breathing apparatus." On bad days, "pm" becomes "post meridiem." Strange, I know.

If I see an acronym that I do not know the translation for, I try to figure it out on my own or ask someone who knows. I've found I'm pretty good at deductive reasoning....

I dislike abbreviations. I'm not entirely sure why. It probably has something to do with people who do not elongate to the full word when reading. Some have their place, such as in addresses. But I am picky about which words I abbreviate in an address.

What I really loathe, detest, despise, abhor, abominate is "abbrev speak." Ugh. Like nails on a chalkboard to me. For anyone who doesn't know, "abbrev speak" is a trend of shortening nearly every word, much like text speak.

Even when texting, I don't shorten words. It just looks weird to me. The only time you will ever find me using a "2" for "to" or "two" or a "4" for "for" is when tweeting something I find important that is over 140 characters.

Abbrev speak is a sad butchering of vocabulary and language. I heard a girl the other day saying, "Be jello! Be jello!" to her friend. It actually took me a few seconds that she was telling her friend she should be jealous. And then I almost cried.

If you want to see me cringe and nearly cry, try saying, "Totes adorb," to me. If you want to get hit in the mouth, please, continue.

1 comment:

  1. This brightened my day! You are too funny! Love you and your quirkiness!

    ReplyDelete