@macbethanee

Thursday, January 13

My Grandpa

My dad's dad passed away on October 29th, 2010. The next day, my brother, sister-in-law, and I drove to Phoenix and then Washington to be with my parents at the funeral. That trip will have its own post on another day.

At the service on November 23rd, my pastor spoke a sermon on being thankful, mainly for the people in your life. He ended it with having everyone write a letter to someone, letting them know why we were thankful for them.
So I wrote to my grandpa. I'm going to send the letter to my grandma once I've posted it here, since I don't think she's online very much. Why am I posting this? I'm not sure. I guess I just want to share a little bit of my heart. Here goes...

Nov 23, 10

Dear Grandpa,

I miss you. A whole lot. Honestly, more than I thought I would. In some ways, I feel as though I never really got the chance to know you. Every time you would visit I was so young. Whenever I would visit I felt shy and uncertain. Now it's too late. You're gone from this life.

I wanted to speak up at your funeral. I wished I could express then everything that was in my heart. But I couldn't. I didn't. So. Now is my chance. I know you will never read this, but, just maybe, I can put to words everything that I'm feeling.

I love you very, very much. I know you loved me too. You told me often. You gave such great hugs, too. Every time you'd visit, you would always ask me if my skin was so dark because of dirt.
"Does that all come off in the bath?"
"No! Grandpa! I'm tan!"
"If you say so."

Thank you. For so very much. For my Christian heritage. I am so thankful that I have an entire family with whom I share my faith. I know so many who believe alone. Thank you for my love of music. The time spent with family before and after your funeral showed me so much. There are so many things about me that I thought was unique in. But the more we talked, about you and about us, I realized that I have quite a few "McLennan characteristics." I can't really think of anything specific at the moment...

Thank you for your love of the Bible. I never personally got to watch you study or listen to you teach, but in hearing what others have said, I am certain that I would have thoroughly enjoyed your teaching. Did you know that I love to read the Bible? Both to study and just to read. And commentaries on the Bible and histories about Bible times. I love them and I'm pretty sure I got that from you.

Thank you for your love of Grandma. I'm sure your life and marriage weren't always perfect, none ever is, but you certainly stood the test of time. And your obvious affection for your wife showed my dad how to love. My dad's love for my mom is the standard that I will hold my (someday, hopefully) marriage to.

Thank you for always doing what God told you to. I'm sure it wasn't easy to be constantly uprooting your life and family, moving around the country, but I am so grateful. If you hadn't moved to North Dakota, how would my parents have met? If you hadn't moved all over the place, my aunts and uncles wouldn't have met, and then I wouldn't have the wonderful cousins I now have.

I really have a lot more I could say but I don't write by hand much and my knuckles are starting to ache.

All in all, THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!

I love you so much!

Beth McLennan

No comments:

Post a Comment